The Cannon
The cannon is a cast iron 24 pounder, flank howitzer made for use in Sea Coast forts by the U.S. Army. It is one of 300 such guns made between 1846 and 1849. They were ordered in 1845 at a cost of 9 cents per pound. Three orders of 100 guns each were placed with foundries in the United States.

These guns were not mounted on field carriages with large wheels, but were on slanted, semi-permanent carriage with small wheels for use in fortresses.

The following is an explanation of the markings on this gun:
The number 81 stamped on the top arc of the muzzle is the government registration number of this cannon. This is one of 30 guns inspected and accepted for government use on July 8, 1846. They were numbers 52 thru 81.

The initials J.W.R. stamped on the Lower arc of the muzzle are those of James Wolfe Ripley, the Ordnance Inspector who accepted the cannon for the U.S. Army on July 8, 1846. He was later Chief Ordnance Inspector for the U.S. Army.

The C.A. & Co. stamped on the center of the right trunnion stands for Cyrus Alger & Company, a South Boston, Massachusetts foundry where this gun was cast.

The 1846 stamped on the center of the left trunnion is the year this gun was cast.

The small number 292 stamped just above the left trunnion is an internal control number of the foundry.

The U.S. stamped on the top center of the gun shows the piece has been accepted by the U.S. Government.

The number 1482 stamped on the lower rear of the gun is its weight in pounds. At a price of 9 cents per pound, this gun cost the U.S. Government $133.38 on July 8, 1846.

This gun was most likely never fired in anger, as it spent its entire useful life in a fort somewhere in New England, guarding our coast.

This information was obtained from research done by Wayne Stark on all existing cannons of the Civil War era. He used the Ordnance Archives of the United States Army and Navy to establish a computer listing of all known guns that may still be in existence, and then has checked on their actual location. He checked this gun while his son was a student at the Air Force Academy.
Every Memorial Day we perform a ceremony at both the G.A.R. plot and at Lt. Marion L. Willis' grave to commemorate our fallen comrades.  Please come by on Memorial Day to remember the heroes of the past and to let our local Veterans know that we value their sacrifices.  Below is a little history on the G.A.R. plot and the flag pole and cannon at the site.  For more information on Lt. Marion L. Willis, check out the Our Post tab on this site.

The Grand Army of the Republic
"The Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) was a fraternal organization composed of Veterans of the Union Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marines and U.S. Revenue Cutter Service (which later became the U.S. Coast Guard) who served in the American Civil War. Founded on April 6, 1866 in Decatur, Illinois, it was dissolved in 1956 when its last member died. The GAR was founded on the principles of "Fraternity, Charity and Loyalty," by Benjamin F. Stephenson. Groups of Civil War warriors began joining together, first for camaraderie and later for political power. For most of these men, the war was the first time off the farm or out of a 5 mile radius away from their homes, where they grew up. Truly the GAR gave them a connection and bond that was formed during the Civil War. In 1868, 2nd Commander-in-Chief of the GAR, General John A. Logan established May 30 as decoration Day, later known as Memorial Day. In its first celebrations, people used this day, Decoration Day to commemorate the dead of the Civil War by decorating their graves with flowers and flags. John Logan was very influential for Veterans and their rights, and this led to the naming of Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver, CO."
- Gleaned from Post 101 Commander Kustanbauter's Remarks at the Flag Pole Dedication Ceremony, March 2012

Flag Pole Dedication
VFW Post 101 performed a replacement flagpole dedication ceremony on Saturday, March 3, 2012 at the Evergreen Cemetery in Colorado Springs, CO. The ceremony was held to replace the flagpole at the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) with a new flag pole. The previous flag pole was dedicated in 1920 by the G.A.R. Post 22 of Colorado Springs. The previous flag pole was 108 years old and originally flew an American flag with 48 stars. Approximately forty-five Post 101 members, ladies auxiliary members and District 5 Warriors members were on hand for this dedication.

The G.A.R. Plot at evergreen cemetery

(719) 632-2776

Lt. Marion l. willis